photo by DurhamDundee
But how do you know when you’ve got the balance right and you’re keeping the majority happy?
I always ask for feedback at the end of my singing workshops and I occasionally hand out feedback questionnaires to my choirs.
Here are some typical responses:
- the warm ups are too long/ too short
- the harmonies are too hard/ too easy
- you are too strict/ too laid-back
- I want more/ less songs in English
- you teach too many/ too few songs
- the sessions are too long/ too short
- we end up sitting down too much/ not enough
- you teach too fast/ too slow
- we have too many/ too few breaks
Usually the extreme responses come from just one or two people. If they balance each other out (i.e. come equally from both extremes) then I reckon I’ve got things right.
But if there is a bias towards one extreme or many people make the same comment, then it’s time to re-evaluate and make changes.
How do you work out if you’ve got the balance right?