But singing is much easier than you think. Here’s how to get started.
Learning to sing can seem hard because it’s so often surrounded by technical jargon. Not only is the jargon difficult to understand, but a lot of it is in Italian!
Fear not because you don’t need any of that stuff to sing.
It’s very simple.
- Open your mouth and sing (see How to sing – the definitive guide). People across the world have been doing it for thousands of years.
- If it hurts, STOP and try a different way (relax, stay within a comfortable range, make sure you do a proper warm up, be gentle).
- If it still hurts, seek help from a professional (see Do you need singing lessons in order to sing?).
- Join a choir. Many famous singers started out in choirs: Avril Lavigne, Justin Timberlake, Whitney Houston, Little Richard, Katy Perry, R. Kelly, Britney Spears and lots more (see How to find a suitable choir to join).
(If a choir is too scary then start off with a “singing for the terrified” group to ease your way in – see Want to sing but are scared of being judged?)
- Keep singing – the more you do it, the better you get.
- Repeat until satisfied.